Photos from India

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Life in the Solomons

Well, everything here in the Solomon islands is what I hoped it would be! Blue skies, clear water and palm trees dropping fresh coconuts all around. Day to day life here is in itself an incredible experience. Everyday I wake up and climb out onto the deck to watch the sunrise. As the sun get's a bit higher in the sky and I finish a cup of coffee, I usually go for a swim or snorkel in the clear waters of the coral sea. Follow that with an afternoon of wonderful local fruits, great cooking by everyone on board and a few drinks to toast the sunset! Life is tough!
We spent the past few days exploring a couple of islands nearby before coming back to this small bit of civalization to drop one of our crew off for her return to Australia. It's incredible to visit a lot of these islands where the people all paddle out to your boat in their dugout canoes wanting to trade all kinds of fruits and vegetables. I of course try to refuse the vegetables, but there are those on board who like them so I guess it is ok. Along with getting fresh food from the locals, it is incredible to see the smiles on their faces when you can give them clothes or a kitchen knife or some nails and see how happy it makes them! It is a difficult thing to make anyone that happy and here it is such a simple task. I don't think that I have been anywhere in the world where all of the people have been as nice as those here. They are very soft spoken and generous. Of all of the places I have ever travelled, walking around the different islands here, being the only white person for miles, I always feel safe. Everyone says hello and smiles when you walk by! What a great place to be.
Yesterday, Bill and I did a dive on a world war two wreck. It was called the Toa Maru. The boat is a 486' long Japaneese Cargo ship that was sunk during world war two. Encrusted in coral and lying in fairly shallow water, this is the most impressive wreck I have ever dove on. You can still see bottles, type writers and miscellaneous other things all scattered around the wreck. Not bad for my first dive in the Solemon islands!

No comments: