Photos from India

Thursday, June 26, 2008

The really big Buddha

Years ago I had seen something on the discovery channel about the largest Buddha in the world. He was 240 feet tall and carved directly into the side of a cliff. Ever since then, I have wanted to see this colossus! I had no idea where it was until a week or so ago when I was flipping through a book about China and saw a photo of the Giant Buddha. I realized he was just an hour off my expected route to meet Alison in Xian so I figured it would provide me with a great opportunity to be in the presence of such an enormous statue.

I arrived at the Buddha park unsure of what the actual scale was going to be like. I had read that you could have a picnic on his foot and his toenail was longer than I am tall. When his head came into view (you approached from high up near his head) I couldn't believe what I was seeing! This sucker was friginn huge! I mean completely ridiculous scale! I have never seen such a spectacle. After climbing down the cliff side just beside the Buddha, I found myself at the base of his monstrous feet staring back up to the top. I was in awe. It took 90 years to complete but I feel they must have been working to death to do so in such a short period of time. Check out the photos when you get a chance, it's well worth the spectacle!

No comments: